Built in Leningrad, after crossing the White Sea-Baltic Canal in 1937, it was included in the 2nd submarine division of the Northern Fleet. During the Great Patriotic War, she made 16 military campaigns, commanders 3rd rank captain N.G. Stolbov, then - captain 3rd rank A.M. Kautsky. In 1942 she was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of the Battle, in 1943 she was awarded the rank of the Guards. She disappeared without a trace in a military campaign, presumably died in an enemy minefield off the coast of Norway at the end of September 1944.